Energy Soup Variations and The Secret to Healing
February 22, 2017
Most people love Energy Soup just the way it is — living greens, bean sprouts, avocado, seaweed, and fruit for sweetener. But try some variations, such as:
- Crunchy texture — grind in a food processor with little or no liquid, instead of blending. Add little chunks of cucumber + carrot.
- Sweet taste — more fresh fruit or soaked dried fruit, or raw honey, but vegans don't eat honey if they can find an alternative natural sweetener.
- Greens + Fruit only — for the sweetest taste, leave out the bean sprouts, avocado and seaweed. Today we call this a Green Smoothie. This recipe was right here on this page from early 2000, five years before Victoria Boutenko "discovered" it in her kitchen! I'm deeply grateful to Victoria for popularizing it under the name Green Smoothie. Victoria wrote to me:
"Dear Val, I understand your concern to protect the authenticity of Ann Wigmore's brilliant discovery. In my upcoming book, Green For Life, I dedicate an entire chapter to clarifying that blending greens was originally Dr. Ann's discovery. ... I believe that Ann Wigmore was an angel. I am boundlessly grateful for her pioneering."
"I do not claim that I invented the blending of greens, but I am taking credit for further researching the impacts of blended greens on the human PH, stomach acids and other health factors. ... My vision is to have freshly made green smoothie available in every country to every adult and child.... Sincerely, Victoria"
Other Energy Soup variations:
- Savory taste — I like garlic, beet (half or one small whole beetroot, a liver and blood strengthener) and Bragg's Liquid Aminos, ground together in a food processor with kale, sprouts, avocado, seaweed + apple. Bragg's is a machine food (not made by Mother Nature) so is not used at the Ann Wigmore Foundation but to me, if it makes the food taste good, let's add it! The main point is to get the nutrients into us.
- [p.s. I can no longer stomach the taste of Bragg's or soya sauce or tamari. Today they're all too artificial for me.]
- No spicy greens — if Energy Soup tastes horrid, go easy on the hot greens like cabbage, fenugreek, mustard and radish. The best greens are Sunflower — the seeds are so easy to buy at pet shops in any country (parrot seeds) and they grow to a lovely green leaf in our GoGreen Sprouter.
Fats, Fruits, Greens
Fats, fruits, and greens were for millennia the core food of humans — that's plant fats (seeds, nuts, coconut, avocado, olives, durians) not animal fats!
Whenever you're hungry, if you reach for one of these three raw foods — fat, fruit or green — your biochemistry comes into beautiful balance, you experience high energy and good health. Read more in What to Eat In a Raw Food Diet.
These days, now that I'm healed and no longer visit the dentist, often my Energy Soup will be as simple as greens-of-the-day from my GoGreen Automatic Sprouter, blended with lots of fruit in season, like a small papaya or half a watermelon. I love sweet!
When you're still healing (transitioning to raw foods) you need the other ingredients too.
The Secret to Healing
There are five secrets to healing with Energy Soup:
- Baby greens
- Bean sprouts
- their Freshness, and
- how Often you do it
For Energy Soup to work — help you get free of pain and lose weight — you must blend both greens and sprouts, fresh home-grown every day (growing in the moment you eat it) and a little fat (avocado or seeds) on five days a week, for five weeks — preferably for a year.
I agree with Ann Wigmore to add a little seaweed. Raw vegans need 1/2 tsp of dulse flakes or 1/16 tsp kelp powder a day to meet our iodine needs. Natural hygienists disagree, they say sea vegetables are not a natural food for humans.
The most powerful healers are wild weeds and the home-grown baby leafy greens — like alfalfa, broccoli, buckwheat greens, cabbage, clover, fenugreek, garlic, green pea shoots, kale, lettuce, mizuna, mustard, onion, radish, sunflower greens, turnip and watercress. Anything you see as a mature green, you can grow as a high-energy 5-day-old baby green in our GoGreen Automatic Sprouter. Use organic seeds only.
You need bean sprouts too because they're high in vitamins E and C, and have different minerals from greens. Beans are rich in organic iron, zinc, phosphorus, sodium, sulfur and copper, while greens have boron, chlorine, iodine and silicon. Both greens and beans are good calcium, potassium, and magnesium sources — needed for our bones and muscles, nerve transmissions, and electrolyte balance.
Sprouted beans are the absolute best source of protein on earth. They're higher in protein than cooked beans because the DNA in a sprout is busy making new proteins for the plant's growth. These proteins are pre-digested into amino acids so they're easy to absorb — no gas here! When healing, you need these proteins to build new tissue.
Energy Soup re-builds and cleanses-detoxifies — see Chlorophyll Power in Eating Raw folder.
Any Side Effects?
Energy Soup is the cheapest, most potent medicine on earth. It has no known side effects, in any dose (except with Refsum's, a rare genetic disease where a person cannot eat chlorophyll).
You may crave sweet after the Energy Soup. It's high in protein as free-form amino acids. They're all jostling at the same time for absorption, big tryptophan gets pushed to the back, your brain signals for more, and simple sugars help tryptophan get through — one reason we add apple to the blend. Simple sugars shuttle all the smaller amino acids into your cells for use as energy, so tryptophan has a clear path.
At first after Energy Soup, I was miserably driven to my local baker for cream croissants — for 28 years I was a sugar junkie. But in one year that same Energy Soup chased my tormentor away. Miraculously, in a few weeks I saw light at the end of my tunnel, for the first time in my life.
Today for dessert, I eat home-made soya or almond yogurt with banana. Sometimes I add concentrated apple juice or home-made chocolate sauce to the soya yogurt. The marriage of tart and sweet twists your tongue in delight!
If you get the runs from Energy Soup, or nausea when you eat soon after, have small amounts over hours, not a lot all at once. Greens are the best colon cleanser! Refrigerate what you don't eat at once, but finish it within five hours.
If you get muscle cramps, it may be a magnesium-calcium imbalance. Greens have both, but are higher in magnesium. Drink calcium-rich seed milks, with essential fats for brain and nerves — blend one-quarter cup of soaked seeds with one cup of water, add sweetener while blending, e.g. banana or fresh dates.
Take It to Work
Make enough Energy Soup to fill two large 16-ounce coffee mugs. It's hard to eat this all at once, especially first thing in the morning.
When I worked in New York City, I poured my morning energy soup into two empty plastic hydrogen peroxide bottles. They're brown (opaque not see-through) hence keep the light out — light triggers free-radical chain reactions in Energy Soup's fats. I drank one on my way to work, then refrigerated the second at work and ate it at 11 a.m.
Brown GLASS containers are best, because oxygen can enter through plastic and oxidize the nutrients (alter their molecular structure).
How Quick Is Healing?
You experience wonders in your first month. It motivates you to keep going — you feel so good.
Then two to four years is the average for most body-minds to re-balance completely.
The more you want to be free of pain, or lose weight, the more you should blend greens and sprouts, and eat fresh plant foods. Begin today to grow baby greens and bean sprouts at home. An automatic Sprouter does it all!
Give every cell in your body a chance to heal itself, and play the purest notes in your symphony.
Best time of day for Energy Soup is morning. It raises your metabolic rate, so you burn more calories through the day. The chlorophyll and enzymes help in your elimination cycle (4 a.m. to 12 noon).
Go for an Energy Soup 4-5 days a week. Anything — once a week — is better than nothing. Energy Soup creates a new body-mind, and new taste-buds. A NEW YOU.
Love! Love! Love!
We are born for Love. The feeling of love wakes up our soul to joy, to peace, to ecstasy.
My experience is — when we eat the love which flows in Nature's fresh food, it's easier to experience True Love. We're balanced, whole, flowing, receptive.
Try it. You're special. You are loved.
"The secret to making totally satisfying live-food recipes is to combine sugar, fat, and chlorophyll [greens] into one meal.
Dr. Ann Wigmore's Energy Soup has three main ingredients: a fat, a sugar, and a chlorophyll food.
Doctor Ann would feed this balanced recipe to some of her patients as their sole nutrition for 3 months and they would be healed of disease!"
David Wolfe, The Sunfood Diet Success System (2000)
Best pages to learn more:
- How to Grow Bean Sprouts in Jars — Energy Soup must have living foods. That's where the Energy is!
- Buy a Sprout Master Manual Sprouter at Amazon — to grow microgreens & bean sprouts until you can build your own Sprouter.
- Blending Links — see all info on Blending.
- Site Map — see the whole feast :)
Hello Val, I really love your site, it has to be one of the best raw food sites I have found on the net.
Stay Up-to-Date !
Treat Yourself to:
- Free 9-week Class by Email — on how to eat LIVING plants for super Health & Energy! See Class details.
- Free Plans to build an Automatic Sprouter — enjoy living greens in your kitchen!
- Free Newsletter giving you weekly links to Free New Health Talks from Experts!