Energy Soup Recipe
February 23, 2017
This recipe saved my life. I made Energy Soup 4-5 days a week for one year, and every craving that had ever tormented me, left me forever.
I could never "just say no." It was a miracle to see each addiction go one by one.
Only if you've been addicted to sugar, do you know how miserable it makes your life. Once I could not pass Mrs Fields Cookies without buying white chocolate + macadamia nut cookies.
But with Energy Soup, after a few months I could not stomach them. They were a sickening sweet. Cigarettes, too, became a total turn-off.
First Step to Healing
Energy Soup is the first step to healing. Many people think juicing is important. But blending fresh home-grown food is far more powerful than juicing, and far quicker! Test it for yourself.
If you're in a critical condition, please make Energy Soup every day — the Ann Wigmore Foundation serves it for every meal.
The truth of Energy Soup is: It works when you work it.
As herbalist Dr. Richard Schulze puts it in his usual strong words (There Are No Incurable Diseases, 1999):
"STOP doing what made you sick in the first place and START doing the programs that will make you healthy and help your body repair and rebuild itself."
IF YOU'RE ON MEDICATION, YOU MUST BE MONITORED BY YOUR DOCTOR WHEN YOU MAKE CHANGES IN YOUR DIET.
Share a spoon of Energy Soup with your animal companions. It cured my boy cat Buddy's urinary tract blockages. He's the guy in the Sprouter photos.
The Energy Soup Recipe
This is the easiest healthiest quickest meal on earth!
Blend in your blender or food processor, using water or unpasteurized apple juice as the base:
- 5 cups of home-grown baby greens — with the GoGreen Sprouter, you get a new tray of greens every day on rotation;
- 1-2 cups of bean sprouts — alternate daily between mung, lentil and green pea (beans grow well in Sprouter, or in jars or hemp bags);
- half to one avocado — for its clean mono-unsaturated fat (like olive oil) with no cholesterol, and rich in enzymes — avocado "savorizes" the greens;
- one apple — for sweetness, and to help digest all the proteins;
- 2 tablespoons of seaweed — for its 60+ minerals and trace minerals, like iodine for thyroid — alternate daily between dulse, kelp and black nori (the raw seaweeds).
Ann Wigmore advised it's best to blend with home-made Rejuvelac, instead of water — see Rejuvelac Recipe here. The high vitamin E in rejuvelac stops nutrients from oxidizing. It's rich too in vitamins B and C, friendly bacteria for your colon, and enzymes for digestion.
Fresh Greens for Energy Soup
The easiest way to get a big plate of greens fresh every day is with an Automatic Sprouter. You can quickly make one using off-the-shelf parts.
Greens don't grow well in jars and the 3-tier manual sprouters — they come out all squiggly and pale with the seed hulls stuck to their leaves (the hulls have low-level toxins, growth inhibitors, in them).
In our GoGreen Automatic Sprouter, greens love the gentle, high-oxygen misting. They feel like they're in a tropical rain forest, and grow to a rich luxuriant green! All the seed hulls easily fall away when you swish the greens around in a big bowl of water.
If you live outside north America, get a Mist Kit here to build your own Automatic Sprouter for greens.
Extras in Energy Soup
Include as optional extras in your energy soup:
- one clove of garlic — a powerful anti-viral, immune system supporter;
- mature greens — for more chlorophyll to cleanse and rebuild your bloodstream and cells — use the dark greens high in beta-carotene and calcium, like kale, collard, dandelion, parsley;
- sweeten your children's Energy Soup with a whole food sugar, such as banana, big apple, brown rice syrup (it's cooked) or raw honey.
In my experience, these sweeteners don't give cavities. My teeth are my weakest point — I lost five teeth in five years in my early 40's before I switched to Energy Soup and fresh home-grown food. Read how to heal your teeth + gums.
For variety, instead of avocado, try another raw plant fat, such as raw nuts (especially almonds) or raw seeds — flax, pumpkin, sesame or hulled sunflower.
Soak the nuts or seeds OR grind them (dry) in a coffee-grinder, and add to your Energy Soup. Don't soak longer than 3 to 4 hours because their minerals leach out in the soak water. I don't agree with 8-hour soaking to "activate the enzymes" — three hours is enough.
What enzymes are you activating? Only sunflower + unhulled sesame seeds will grow rootlets. The rest are dead. Nuts are dehydrated after they're shelled so they won't go moldy. We have no idea what temp they're dried at.
If you soak your nuts or seeds for longer (all day or all night) then use the soak water as your blending base, for extra minerals.
Why Soak the Nuts?
Why do we soak raw nuts + seeds, and sprout raw grains + legumes such as mung beans?
- To make their starch digestible. Our enzymes can't break down hard raw starch (called beta-starch) but as soon as water molecules seep into the starch and push apart its glucose molecules, it becomes a softer alpha-starch which our enzymes easily digest. Read more in Eating Raw, How We Digest Starch.
- To release their enzyme inhibitors, this applies 'specially to legumes which are high in trypsin inhibitors;
- To release their minerals from the complexes in which they're bound. Soaking breaks down the phytate complex, so calcium, phosphorus and other minerals are released. Now we can absorb them!
Soaking has little effect on oxalate complexes. If today you'd like extra calcium from your greens, then eat the low-oxalate ones such as bok choy, broccoli, dandelion, kale and Chinese cabbage (napa cabbage).
Phytic acid (or phytate) used to be blacklisted as an anti-nutrient that blocks mineral absorption, but today it enjoys favorable press as an anti-oxidant! You win some, you lose some. That's why sometimes I soak and sometimes I simply grind a handful of seeds in my coffee grinder and add to my blend.
Most of the time, I do neither! I've kinda evolved into low-fat over the years.
Every male knows that pumpkin seeds are great for zinc, needed for sperm and seminal fluid. But how many know to soak the seeds first to release zinc from its phytate complex?
With oxalates, soaking, sprouting and fermenting don't help. Oxalates cling tightly to their minerals! "Mine, all mine," they say. "You can't have any!"
Surprisingly, sesame seeds and yams are oxalate-dense. So sesame seeds are not a great calcium source.
When you soak sesame seeds, some oxalates drift out into the soak water, but they take their calcium and other minerals with them. Read more about oxalic acids in Green Smoothies. Mostly they're in leafy greens.
Why Add Extra Fat?
Green leaves boast high-quality omega-3 fatty acids. People forget that every cell in every plant is protected by a membrane of fatty acids. There's fat in every lettuce leaf and apple!
So why do we add fat to Energy Soup? It helps us to absorb all the carotenoids in the leafy greens! Caretenoids like beta-carotene need bile salts for absorption but our gall bladder only releases bile when there's fat in the meal.
However, if you add a lot of fruit to your blend, then it's not good to add fat. See why in Green Smoothie recipe. After a while, you get a feel for it:
- high-greens, low-fruit, add-fat = Energy Soup
- high-greens, high-fruit, no-fat = Green Smoothie
The fat in avocado, nuts and seeds helps us to absorb minerals like calcium, iron, manganese and zinc.
Research finds that one reason some low-fat raw fooders suffer from mineral deficiencies is because they're eating too little fat to absorb the minerals (cited in Becoming Raw, the Essential Guide to Raw Vegan Diets by Brenda Davis + Vesanto Melina, 2010).
You're getting enough minerals! Fruit trees dig their roots deep into Mother Earth to pull up all her minerals. Fruit is not lacking in minerals! But some people are not absorbing what they eat.
I don't know why I hear of mineral deficiencies such as hair and teeth falling out. I doubt that low-fat is the reason. Ever since I lost my fear of fruit, after reading Doug Graham's book The 80/10/10 Diet and I evolved into high-fruit, I have amazing strength and endurance.
In my 60's, I swim laps for an hour with no break, and stop only 'cause I'm bored. I plow through giant ocean waves like an Olympic athlete. I never had this strength when I ate low fruit.
My nails and teeth are super strong. I've never known such all-round strenth and I attribute it to two things:
- lots of fruit — these days I eat mainly fruit for 2 meals, except in the heart of winter I like mung bean sprouts and home-made almond butter
- lots of greens — Energy Soup or Green Smoothie about five days a week, more greens than I could ever chew on.
For your leafy greens, buy only organic (no pesticides, fertilizers, and no GMO's) from health food stores and farmers' markets, never from the supermarket unless labeled Organic. It's more expensive, but as my friend Howie says, "you pay now or you pay later."
Best of all, pick wild weeds — they're highest in nutrients.
Chemicals like pesticides, colorings and flavorings interfere in cell signaling. They disrupt our hormone, immune and nervous systems. When a cell gets false signals, or no signals, telling it what to do, it goes frantic and acts like a zygote (undifferentiated cell) — multiplies over and over into a tumor.
When you go shopping, ask yourself:
- Is it ORGANIC — no pesticides, no GMO's?
- Is it ALIVE — picked in the last 24 hours?
- Is it DIFFERENT — from what I bought last time?
Variety is the spice of life and gives you ALL your nutrients. Old people are very naughty to eat the same food over and over.
"The most important key in getting back to health is to use blended foods in small amounts frequently throughout the day.
The key foods are Energy Soup, Rejuvelac and Wheatgrass Juice."
Ann Wigmore, Rebuild Your Health (1991)
Best pages to learn more:
- Energy Soup Variations & The Secret to Healing — page 2 of this Energy Soup Recipe.
- Rejuvelac Recipe
- Blending Links — see all info on Blending.
- Site Map — see the whole feast :)
Hello Val, I really love your site, it has to be one of the best raw food sites I have found on the net.
Stay Up-to-Date !
Treat Yourself to:
- Free 9-week Class by Email — on how to eat LIVING plants for super Health & Energy! See Class details.
- Free Plans to build an Automatic Sprouter — enjoy living greens in your kitchen!
- Free Newsletter giving you weekly links to Free New Health Talks from Experts!